Potato salad is a classic summer salad that can be made with any combination of vegetables.
This salt lick potato salad recipe uses filet Mignon as the main protein and adds a bit of sweetness from diced fresh pineapple.
For a more complex flavor, try using smoked paprika or chipotle chilies in place of the chili powder.
What Is Salt Licking?
Salt licking is a folk-art process of extracting salt from seawater.
The seawater is mixed with a thickening agent like starch or sugar and then drawn through a filter, such as cloth, paper towel, or coffee filter, to remove the salt.
Salt lick potatoes are a traditional Appalachian dish made from red potatoes that have been salted and then left to dry in the sun or in an oven.
The potatoes are often roasted before serving.
Salt Lick Potato Salad Recipe
Salt lick potato salad is one of the most popular potato salads in America.
It is made with potatoes that have been pickled in a brine made of salt, vinegar and spices.
This recipe makes a small batch, so it can be easily stored in the fridge for later.
So, here’s the salt lick potato salad recipe.
Salt Lick Potato Salad Recipe
- 1 pound salt lick potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped scallions, diced tomatoes, sour cream, crumbled bacon
- Choose potatoes that are medium-sized or smaller, so they will not turn to mush when cooked.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until they are tender but still firm.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly. Then mash them with a fork or an immersion blender.
- Mix together the mashed potatoes, onion, celery, dill weed, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise until well combined.
- To make the salad more interesting and crunchy, add chopped hard-boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, or chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Variations On Salt Lick Potato Salad
If you love salty foods, there’s a good chance you’ll love this recipe for salt lick potato salad.
This version is inspired by a dish served at a roadside stand in North Dakota.
It’s delicious and easy to make, so you can enjoy it anywhere.
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Chopped fresh parsley or dill weed Optional:
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, green pepper, mayonnaise, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are coated.
- Add black pepper to taste. Stir in any optional ingredients. Serve cold or at room temperature.
If you’re looking for a potato salad recipe that will please everyone in your family, look no further than this salt lick version.
With the unique flavor and texture of salt licks blended with creamy mashed potatoes, this salt lick potato salad recipe is sure to be a hit.
The best part? It’s extremely simple to make and will be a hit with your family and friends.
Just be sure to provide plenty of crusty bread to sop up all the yummy dressing.